Experiment #1 is complete! Josh and I went out to Candle 79, a fancy schmancy vegan restaurant, to celebrate last night. Here’s what we had (the photos aren’t ours, but are the same dishes we had):
NY STATE SQUASH RAVIOLI
whole wheat pasta, sautéed truffled wild
mushrooms, sage, crispy capers, cashew cream
ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
blended root vegetables, with truffle oil
creamed spinach, grilled potato cake,
oyster mushrooms, lemon-caper sauce
ROSEMARY BAKED TOFU
horseradish mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts,
haricots verts, porcini-vegetable reduction,
CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER BLISS
chocolate mousse, peanut butter mousse,
chocolate shell, berry coulis
VANILLA ICE CREAM
It was quite a treat. We’re both very glad we did it. Things we learned and/or accomplished:
- Cooking every meal takes a lot of time. Most nights, dinner wasn’t on the table before 10:30 or 11, and we washed dishes until the wee hours of the morning.
- We can totally keep this going (though perhaps with a few changes; being able to use a little olive oil tonight as I made us pizza was great).
- The modern dishwasher is the greatest invention of the 20th Century.
- We each lost some weight. (Yay!)
- We like making self-improvements together
That last one is perhaps the most important. I did, optimistically, call this Experiment #1, but I did so knowing full well that it might be both the first and last one we did. But it seems like this 28-Day cycle is something we can stick to, and Experiment #2 has already begun…